Sunday, June 14, 2009

16 Weeks To Marathon

Monday, June 8th 2009: 3 miles in 25 minutes 23 seconds. I pushed on this run and did a shorter distance but faster pace, and finished with an average 8:28 per mile pace. Mercy. It hurt. I hope this rumor about how speed training improves pace isn't an ugly conspiracy to make runners suffer.

Tuesday, June 9th 2009: 6 miles in 58 minutes. I wasn't tremendously thrilled to go out and do an early pre-work run after the previous night's speed run. Surprisingly I think my body is starting to get used to the early morning outings.

Wednesday, June 10th 2009: Rest. Glorious rest.


Thursday, June 11th 2009: 16 miles in 2 hours 49 minutes. Mel and I headed out for our long run at an inhumane 4:30am. I ran the first 4 miles with Mel who did 8 that day (Good job Mel!). I ran slower the first half to conserve my energy. Great news - my Snickers bar was waiting at the half way point. I found out that after running 8 miles, a Snickers bar isn't too appealing. Hmm.

I was feeling okay at mile 12 so I sped up and finished the last 4 miles strong. It's a much better feeling to end a run with a strong finish than to drag yourself to the end. I was really happy that I ended with an average 10:36 per mile pace.

It is truly inconceivable that I ran 16 miles. I would have never, ever believed you if you told me a year ago that I would do this. I had perfected my excuses that I wasn't a runner and never would be. My excuses included:

  • My knees throb when I even run half a mile. I could NEVER run 16 miles (this was my favorite excuse).

  • My body's not built for that.

  • I don't have the time.

  • Of all forms of exercise, why would I pick the seemingly most boring exercise ever?

  • I get tired and out of breath easily and quickly.

  • My feet, back, and KNEES hurt!

Trust me, I was a staunch member of the "I Could Never Be A Runner" group. But after starting very slowly, building very slowly, pushing my body just a little farther, lots of stretching, and not giving up when it got hard, I am now a believer. I am convinced that if I can do it, anyone can. I promised myself I wasn't going to cry. Where are the Kleenix?

Friday, June 12th 2009: Spent the day at Canyonlands National Park and biking around Arches with Mel and Jackson. We spent the weekend at Moab (visit coryreese.blogspot.com for pictures coming soon).

Saturday, June 13th 2009: Hike to Delicate Arch and Corona Arch. Amazing.

1 comment:

  1. you are amazing. i honestly don't think i could run 16 miles right now. i guess i better get cracking.

    ReplyDelete